ADP5090 Ultralow Power Boost Regulator with MPPT and Charge Management
The ADP5090 is an integrated boost regulator that converts dc power from PV cells or TEGs. The device charges storage elements such as rechargeable Li-Ion batteries, thin
film batteries, super capacitors, and conventional capacitors, and powers up small electronic devices and battery-free systems.
The ADP5090 provides efficient conversion of the harvested limited power from a 16 µW to 200 mW range with sub-µW operation losses. With the internal cold-start circuit, the regulator can start operating at an input voltage as low as 380 mV. After cold startup, the regulator is functional at an input voltage range of 80 mV to 3.3 V.
By sensing the input voltage at the VIN pin, the control loop keeps the input voltage ripple in a fixed range to maintain stable dcto-dc boost conversion. The VIN OCV sensing and programmable regulation points of the input voltage allow extraction of the highest possible energy from the PV cell or TEG harvester. A programmable minimum operation threshold (MINOP) enables boost shutdown during a low light condition. In addition, the DIS_SW pin can temporarily shut down the boost regulator and is RF transmission friendly.
The charging control function of ADP5090 protects rechargeable energy storage, which is achieved by monitoring the battery voltage with programmable charging termination voltage and shutdown discharging voltage. In addition, a programmable PGOOD flag monitors the SYS voltage.
An optional primary cell battery can be connected and managed by an integrated power path management control block that automatically switches the power source from the energy harvester, rechargeable battery, and primary cell battery.
The ADP5090 is available in a 16-lead, 3 mm × 3 mm LFCSP and is rated for a −40°C to +125°C junction temperature range.
- PV cell energy harvesting
- TEG energy harvesting
- Battery regulator powered by solar panel
- Industrial monitoring
- Self-powered wireless sensor devices
- Portable and wearable devices with energy harvesting
Features and Benefits
Boost regulator with maximum power point tracking (MPPT)
- Hysteretic controller for best ultralight load efficiency
- 320 nA ultralow quiescent current (CBP ≥ MINOP)
- 260 nA ultralow quiescent current (CBP < MINOP)
- Input voltage operation range from 80 mV to 3.3 V
- Cold start from 380 mV (typical) with charge pump
- Open circuit voltage (OCV) sensing for MPPT
- Programmable MPPT ratio for photovoltaic (PV) or thermoelectric generator (TEG) energy sources
- Programmable shutdown point on MINOP pin
Energy storage management
- Programmable voltage monitor (2.2 V to 5.2 V) to support charging and prevent overcharging or overdischarging
- Power path management for an optional backup primary cell battery connected to the BACK_UP pin
RF transmission friendly
- Temporary shutdown boost regulator via microcontroller (MCU) communication